You won’t be able view extensions to your files on the computer until you enable the option to show Files extensions in Windows 10.
Create Windows Show File Extensions
By default By default, by default, Extensions aren’t visible in Windows 10 computer and also for computers running older versions of the Windows operating systems.
But, being unable to view file extensions is not a good idea from a security perspective since you might fall victim to being tricked into opening dangerous files on your PC.
In this case, for instance, you wouldn’t be able to tell if the file titled “document01” is an actual document file or a potentially harmful executable file without taking an examination of the extension portion that is hidden.
A file can appear as a real PDF file with the PDF icon, however, it could be an executable malware file that has .exe Extension.
It is therefore recommended to enable the option to display File Extensions to reduce the risk of opening dangerous executable files on your system.
1. Show Extensions of Files on Windows 10 Using File Explorer
The most straightforward way to view extensions to your files on your PC is to turn on the “File Name Extensions” option in Windows File Explorer.
1. Right-click on the Start button, then click on File Explorer.
2. In File Explorer window, choose the View tab, and then check the File Name Extensions.
Following this, all files on your system will displayed with their full file name extensions.
2. Show Extensions for Files in Control Panel
If you are a fan of the Windows Control Panel then follow these steps to make your computer show file extensions.
1. Type Control Panel in the search bar, and Click on Control Panel App in the results of the search.
2. On Control Panel Screen, ensure you is in the category view. click on Appearance and Personalization.
3. On the next screen, select File Explorer Options.
4. On File Explorer Options screen, choose the View tab, and then uncheck the Hide Extensions for File Types that are Known option.
5. Click on Apply and then OK to close this page.